Sunday, January 20, 2013

Valentine Mantel

I decided this year to decorate a little more for Valentine's Day than the usual stickers on the windows (although we do have those as well). I found a red candlestick and a blue vase at Target and that set in motion the rest of the decorations.
The blue candle I bought didn't quite match the way I wanted, so I dressed it up a little bit so it would blend a little better. I cut a heart out of red felt and glued it to a doily (found a package of doilies in the dollar bins at Target)and tied it around the candle with red twine. I saw something similar on Pinterest here! 
To make the canvas, I had a small white canvas laying around from earlier projects. I painted it blue and then free-hand painted the red "love" in the middle. It took several coats of red to cover the blue in the background. I also added a few white dots around the edge to finish it off. 

For the banner, I cut a lot of hearts (free-hand, all different sizes) out of pink and red felt. I purchased some pom poms in white, pink and red from Hobby Lobby and added those in between the hearts. I hand-stitched it all together with red embroidery floss. It was quick and easy (maybe took me an hour from start to finish at most) and turned out to be the perfect finishing touch. 

I still would like to add something in the blue vase to give a little bit of height to that end, but have not found the perfect thing quite yet. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment