Sunday, December 19, 2010

Freezer Paper Stencil

We have a few plain t-shirts around here for layering. I read about using freezer paper for stenciling a l-o-n-g time ago, but just thought I might be able to try it out this week. So, I found a cute little owl picture online. Then I printed it and traced it onto the freezer paper. Cut out the pieces with an xacto knife {shout out to five years of architecture school right there}. Ironed the freezer paper onto the shirt {you can see below what it looks like before paint and how I pieced the freezer paper to create the outline that will receive paint and what will be the same color as the shirt}.
Then, I painted it with permanent fabric paint {sparkle pink of course}, about four coats {using a hair dryer in between coats to help it dry faster because we were having dinner guests over, so it needed to get off the table}. After it dries completely, remove the freezer paper and iron the finished stencil {with a towel over it to protect it}. Finished product - not bad for my first try:
Now a layering shirt can be worn alone {my daughter loved it}, or layered with shirts over it! A fun alternative with a million possibilities! {Now I am eyeing all kinds of plain shirts around here..ut oh.}

1 comment: